Location: Columbus, Ohio
The Spirit of the Position:
The Porter role is responsible for ensuring parking garages and surface parking lots are cleaned and maintained on a daily basis. Porters will “take ownership” of garages, ensuring that stairwells, elevator cabs, elevator lobbies, and garage payment machines are cleaned and welcoming to the many students, faculty, staff, and visitors that come to The Ohio State University on a daily basis. Porters that will be selected will represent the best cleaning professionals in the business and will serve as an integral part of our team, as they are often the first impression that people will have of The Ohio State University. On occasion, porters will interface with customers and will be expected to assist the customer or point them to someone that can help solve their concerns, always with a smile and pleasant demeanor. Additionally, porters working in our organization must communicate with co-workers, supervisors, other departments, and management, all working toward common goals and a sense of achievement.
Principal Job Duties:
· Ensure garages and surface lots are cleaned and maintained on a daily basis.
· Responsible for general maintenance of the garage and surface lots – sweeping, dusting handrails, wiping down surfaces and equipment, snow removal, landscaping, painting, picking up trash, emptying trash, changing light bulbs, cleaning elevator door sills, polishing elevator cabs, etc.
· Responsible for seasonal work such as lawn care, leaf removal, and snow removal from parking lots and garages.
· Handle vehicles, tools, and any other assigned equipment in a safe manner, with care and respect.
· Operate garage/floor sweeper and scrubber to ensure floors are clean and safe.
· Must be willing to clean up bodily waste left behind in garages (vomit, urine, etc.).
· Responsible for performing all daily duties on maintenance checklist in an efficient and timely manner.
· Must promote good customer relations by consistently providing premier customer satisfaction with a friendly demeanor, can-do attitude, and willingness to help at all times.
o Develop a rapport with customers.
o Greet customers by name or in an otherwise friendly manner.
o Display a caring attitude.
o Be responsive and timely with problem resolution and any necessary communication.
· Assist customers as needed over the intercom system, in lobbies, in lanes, and in the parking office.
· Provide vehicle assistance to customers in garages and surface lots (inflate tires, jump starts, etc.).
· Fix broken equipment, lights, signs, poles and any other equipment in the lots or garages or report to supervisor the need for the repair
· Assist with other departments as needed.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or GED required.
- Experience cleaning facilities, garages, surface lots, or equivalent is required.
- Experience or general understanding of facility maintenance is preferred.
- Experience in customer relations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate Maintenance vehicles or have the ability and willingness to learn how to operate maintenance vehicles (sweeper, Kubota, Gator, etc.).
· Willingness to work in the elements (rain, snow, wind, heat, etc.).
· Willingness to be flexible and to work in multiple facility locations.
· Must be open to working overtime when needed.
· Must be able to work unsupervised.
· Ability to speak, read, and comprehend the English language.
· Ability to handle challenging and, at times, emotionally charged situations.
· Ability to communicate professionally and effectively.
· Must be able to make decisions independently and stay firm on decisions made (not easily persuaded).
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and timeliness.
- Willingness to work within a team setting and build rapport with peers and supervisors.
- Excellent teambuilding and interpersonal skills.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: This is a part-time position at roughly 16 to 20 hours per week. Shift is mid day but flexible from roughly 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
Salary: The position will have a starting wage of $10/hr.
Location: OSU Campus
· Ability to lift, push and pull at least 50 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential duties/functions.
LAZ Parking is an equal opportunity employer. In all our employment practices, including hiring, we are firmly committed to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetics, Vietnam era, special disabled, recently separated and other protected veterans, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. No question in our application process is used for the process of limiting or excluding any applicant's consideration for employment on such grounds
LAZ Parking participates in E-Verify.